By J. Maarten Troost
Follow within the footsteps of Robert Louis Stevenson with J. Maarten Troost, the bestselling writer of The intercourse Lives of Cannibals.
Readers and critics alike adore J. Maarten Troost for his signature wry and witty tackle the journey memoir. Headhunters on My Doorstep chronicles Troost’s go back to the South Pacific after his fight with alcoholism left him numb to lifestyles. figuring out to retrace the trail as soon as traveled by means of the writer of Treasure Island, Troost follows Robert Louis Stevenson to the Marquesas, the Tuamotus, Tahiti, Kiribati, and Samoa, tumbling from one comedian misadventure to a different. Headhunters on My Doorstep is a humorous but poignant account of 1 man’s trip to discover himself that would captivate go back and forth writing aficionados, Robert Louis Stevenson fanatics, and an individual who has ever misplaced his manner.
By Lonely Planet, Alexis Averbuck
Lonely Planet: The world's top commute consultant publisher
Lonely Planet Provence & the Cote d'Azur is your passport to the main proper, updated recommendation on what to determine and pass, and what hidden discoveries wait for you. attempt neighborhood cheese and wine in hilltop villages overlooking lavender fields, chill out at the shores of St-Tropez, or attempt your good fortune in Monaco's recognized on line casino; all along with your depended on trip spouse. Get to the center of Provence and the Cote d'Azur and start your trip now!
Inside Lonely Planet Provence & the Cote d'Azur:
- Colour maps and pictures all through
- Highlights and itineraries assist you tailor your journey in your own wishes and pursuits
- Insider tips to save lots of time and cash and get round like an area, fending off crowds and hassle spots
- Essential info at your fingertips - hours of operation, mobile numbers, web content, transit information, costs
- Honest experiences for all budgets - consuming, drowsing, sight-seeing, going out, procuring, hidden gem stones that almost all guidebooks pass over
- Cultural insights offer you a richer, extra profitable shuttle adventure - together with historical past, artwork, cinema, structure, literature, politics, landscapes, food, wine, and extra
- Over 32 neighborhood maps
- Covers Marseille, Aix-en-Provence, the Camargue, Arles, great, Monaco, Menton, Cannes, St-Tropez, Toulon, Avignon, Hill cities of the Luberon, Haute-Provence, Southern Alps, and extra
The excellent Choice: Lonely Planet Provence & the Cote d'Azur, our such a lot accomplished consultant to Provence and the Cote d'Azur, is ideal for either exploring best attractions and taking roads much less travelled.
- Looking for extra broad insurance? try out Lonely Planet's France for a complete examine all of the state has to provide or Lonely Planet's Discover France, a photo-rich advisor to the country's most well-liked sights.
Authors: Written and researched via Lonely Planet, Oliver Berry, Alexis Averbuck, Nicola Williams.
About Lonely Planet: Since 1973, Lonely Planet has turn into the world's major go back and forth media corporation with guidebooks to each vacation spot, an award-winning web site, cellular and electronic trip items, and a devoted vacationer group. Lonely Planet covers must-see spots but additionally allows curious guests to get off overwhelmed paths to appreciate extra of the tradition of the locations during which they locate themselves.
By Paul Norbury
Japan is at a crossroads. The postwar fiscal miracle that introduced it extraordinary improvement and prosperity is over. because the ebook of the 1st tradition clever! advisor, it's been overtaken through China because the world's second-largest economic climate. The stability of energy in Asia has shifted and new avid gamers are getting into the sphere. lack of impression overseas, monetary strain at domestic, and the issues posed through a quickly getting older inhabitants current a true problem to Japan's orderly and harmonious lifestyle, and to the very feel the japanese have of themselves as a country "apart."
Traditional eastern culture--based on a consensus-driven philosophy and underpinned by way of many protocols--is threatened through task lack of confidence, a turning out to be classification divide, and disillusionment with political leaders. yet all isn't really misplaced. Japan remains to be a huge monetary strength and cultural trendsetter, and the japanese have a genius for innovation. the more youthful iteration is open to alter, girls have a brand new self belief, and the country's technical and medical study potential is pretty much as good because it will get. there's a turning out to be ecological information which may good translate into new types of green industries.
No you will are expecting how Japan will upward push to the problem, or what influence the adjustments can have on how humans dwell, imagine, and behave. Paul Norbury's revised and up-to-date version of tradition clever! Japan will consultant you thru a moving cultural maze, and assist you make your stopover at to this crucial, dynamic, and inventive society a wealthy and together worthwhile adventure.
By Nate Cavalieri, Beth Kohn
Lonely Planet: The world's major shuttle consultant publisher
Lonely Planet Puerto Rico is your passport to all of the so much appropriate and up to date suggestion on what to work out, what to bypass, and what hidden discoveries watch for you. Lose your self within the historic tales of previous San Juan, think the rub of sand among your ft at Playa Flamenco, or seize a few beisbol; all together with your relied on shuttle better half. Get to the guts of Puerto Rico and start your trip now!
Inside Lonely Planet Puerto Rico go back and forth Guide:
- Color maps and photographs all through
- Highlights and itineraries convey you the best strategy to tailor your journey in your personal own wishes and pursuits
- Insider tips prevent money and time and assist you get round like a neighborhood, averting crowds and bother spots
- Essential info at your fingertips - together with hours of operation, mobilephone numbers, web pages, transit information, and costs
- Honest reviews for all budgets - together with consuming, drowsing, sight-seeing, going out, buying, and hidden gem stones that the majority guidebooks pass over
- Cultural insights provide you with a richer and extra lucrative commute event - together with customs, heritage, paintings, literature, cinema, tune, politics, landscapes, natural world, and delicacies
- Free, handy pull-out San Juan map (included in print version), plus over 32 neighborhood maps
- Useful features - together with Month-by-Month (annual competition calendar), Puerto Rico outside, and Travel with Children
- Coverage of San Juan, Ponce, Rincon, Culebra, Vieques, Fajardo, Isabela, Luquillo, Catano, Cabo Rojo, Aguadilla, Dorado, El Yunque, crucial Mountains, and extra
The ideal selection: Lonely Planet Puerto Rico, our such a lot complete consultant to Puerto Rico, is ideal for these making plans to either discover the head attractions and take the line much less traveled.
- Looking for extra assurance? try out Lonely Planet's Caribbean Islands guide for a finished examine what the total sector has to provide.
Authors: Written and researched through Lonely Planet, Nate Cavalieri, and Beth Kohn.
About Lonely Planet: began in 1973, Lonely Planet has develop into the world's best go back and forth consultant writer with guidebooks to each vacation spot on this planet, in addition to an award-winning site, a set of cellular and electronic shuttle items, and a devoted vacationer group. Lonely Planet's challenge is to allow curious tourists to event the area and to actually get to the guts of the areas they locate themselves in.
TripAdvisor tourists' selection Awards 2012 and 2013 winner in favourite commute advisor category
'Lonely Planet courses are, readily, like no other.' - long island Times
'Lonely Planet. it truly is on everyone's bookshelves; it really is in each traveller's fingers. it really is on cell phones. it really is on the net. it truly is far and wide, and it really is telling complete generations of individuals the way to shuttle the world.' - Fairfax Media (Australia)
From the Panhandle's white sandy shorelines to Disney international and the distance Coast to hip Miami with its fashionable motels, eating and nightlife, Florida's points of interest, in addition to balmy climate and gorgeous humans, entice over eighty million viewers to the country each year. In full-color throughout, Fodor's Florida takes a wise insider's examine the nation, with worthwhile making plans suggestion in the beginning of every bankruptcy.
By Barry Unsworth
"His willing knowing of heritage and legend...illuminate[s] his visits." —Publishers Weekly
"A bright photo of the island." —Associated Press
"It is difficult to consider at any place on the earth the place such a lot of firsts and mosts are stuffed right into a area so small," Barry Unsworth writes of the isle of Crete. Birthplace of the Greek god Zeus, the Greek alphabet, and the 1st Greek legislation, in addition to the house of 15 mountain levels and the longest gorge in Europe, this land is certainly specified. and because precedent days, its population have maintained an awesome tenacity and experience of nationwide identification, at the same time they suffered conquest and profession by means of Romans, Byzantines, Arabs, Venetians, Ottoman Turks, and Germans.
Throughout this evocative booklet, now in exchange paper, Unsworth describes the amazing actual and cultural proportions of the island—in historical past, delusion, and truth. relocating and crafty, Crete supplies readers a entire photo and wealthy knowing of this complex—and certainly, virtually magical—world of Mediterranean wonders.
With a similar willing eye and transparent, eloquent prose that distinguishes his acclaimed old novels, Barry Unsworth provides his readers a two-fold traveler's gift, instantaneously a superbly designated landscape of Crete's many layers of historical past and an evocative portrait of an island virtually actually higher than existence.
By Helena Smith, James Stewart
The tough advisor to the Scottish Highlands & Islands is the definitive go back and forth consultant to this untamed sector, with targeted, trendy maps and gorgeous images to carry all of it to lifestyles at the web page.
From the abandoned white strands of South Harris to moody Glen Coe, the Scottish Highlands and Islands are the proper locations to drop off the radar, even if you are camping out wild or staying in a boutique hideaway. The Munro summits are as a lot of a problem as ever and the Highlands are full of myriad different possibilities for event, from world-class sea kayaking and mountain cycling to close empty surf-breaks.
Whether you are touring via motor vehicle, motorcycle, or public transportation the great go back and forth recommendation in The tough consultant to Scottish Highlands & Islands can help you navigate your method round simply and element you towards marvelous animals resembling puffins and whales. updated and sincere reports of the entire most sensible lodging and home-grown, clean consuming recommendations for all budgets will all make sure that you maximize it slow during this, the main beautiful a part of Scotland.
Make the main of a while with The tough consultant to Scottish Highlands & Islands.
In 1892, the Bishop of Tasmania set sail for Melanesia with the motive of rescuing islanders from lives of worry, black magic and cannibalism. Over a hundred years later, his nice grandson, Charles Montgomery, the bishop's direction throughout the South Pacific, searching out the spirits and myths his missionary forebear had sought to destroy.
Montgomery explored distant beaches the place gospel and empire by no means took carry. He rubbed shoulders with barefoot preachers, witch medical professionals and gun-toting rebels, in simple terms to find that the pagan spirits have been extra tenacious than the missionaries had imagined. Melanesians had stirred Jesus and Mary into an already highly spiced broth of ancestor worship, ghosts, shark gods and magic. via confrontations with a extraordinary forged of characters -- the randy ethnographer, the soft-talking murderer, the leper prophet -- the adventure turns into a debate at the nature of magic, fantasy and religion, and a metaphor for the remodeling energy of story.
The final Heathen marks the debut of an exhilarating younger author who charts his adventures with ardour, perception and grace.
By Lonely Planet, Brendan Sainsbury, Celeste Brash
Lonely Planet: The world's prime shuttle advisor publisher
Lonely Planet Seattle is your passport to all of the such a lot correct and up to date suggestion on what to work out, what to pass, and what hidden discoveries wait for you. trap a flying fish at Pike position marketplace, get dizzy atop the gap Needle, and delight in Belltown's revolutionary eating scene; all along with your depended on shuttle spouse. Get to the guts of Seattle and start your trip now!
Inside Lonely Planet's Seattle shuttle Guide:
- Color maps and photographs all through
- Highlights and itineraries express you the easiest method to tailor your journey on your personal own wishes and pursuits
- Insider tips prevent money and time, and assist you get round like a neighborhood, keeping off crowds and hassle spots
- Essential info at your fingertips - together with hours of operation, mobile numbers, web content, transit suggestions, and costs
- Honest reports for all budgets - together with consuming, napping, sight-seeing, going out, procuring, and hidden gemstones that the majority guidebooks omit
- Cultural insights provide you with a richer and extra worthwhile commute adventure - together with background, track, food, way of life, nightlife, and extra
- Free, handy pull-out Seattle map (included in print version), plus over 30 colour maps
- Useful features - together with Walking excursions, With little ones, Day journeys, Month by means of Month (annual pageant calendar), and extra
- Coverage of downtown, Pike position industry, Pioneer sq., Belltown, Seattle heart, Queen Anne, Lake Union, Capitol Hill, the U District, eco-friendly Lake, Fremont, Ballard, Discovery Park, and extra
The excellent selection: Lonely Planet Seattle, our so much entire advisor to Seattle, is ideal for these making plans to either discover the head points of interest and take the line much less traveled.
- Looking for extra vast assurance? try out Lonely Planet's Washington, Oregon & the Pacific Northwest consultant for a accomplished examine the entire area has to provide.
Authors: Written and researched through Lonely Planet, Brendan Sainsbury, and Celeste Brash.
About Lonely Planet: begun in 1973, Lonely Planet has turn into the world's prime trip consultant writer with guidebooks to each vacation spot on the earth, in addition to an award-winning web site, a set of cellular and electronic trip items, and a devoted visitor group. Lonely Planet's project is to let curious tourists to adventure the realm and to actually get to the guts of the locations they locate themselves in.
TripAdvisor tourists' selection Awards 2012 and 2013 winner in favourite commute advisor category
'Lonely Planet publications are, effortlessly, like no other.' - the hot York occasions
'Lonely Planet. it really is on everyone's bookshelves; it is in each traveller's fingers. it is on cellphones. it is on the web. it really is in every single place, and it truly is telling complete generations of individuals how you can go back and forth the world.' -Fairfax Media (Australia)